Grocery stores love the super bowl. They load up the ends of the aisles with bags and bags of chips, pretzels, dips, and cheese snacks. But if you want to actually eat some real food that tastes delicious while you are watching the game (or the commercials), I’ve got some super snack recipes for you.
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms makes about 14 mushroomsingredients
- 1 container white button mushrooms (usually 6 or 8oz), wiped clean with damp paper towel, and de-stemmed (save 5 stems)
- 1/4-1/3 cup bread crumbs or ground almonds (start with 1/4 cup and add more at end if mix is too moist)
- (1) 6oz can wild crab (~4oz when drained) or 4oz fresh crab meat
- 1/3 cup grated raw cheddar cheese
- 2 small stalks celery
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- preheat oven to 325 degrees
- drain crab meat and place in a medium bowl. use fork to break apart.
- rough chop celery and onion and place in a food processor with garlic and reserved mushroom stems. chop finely.
- add contents of food processor to crab meat.
- mix in bread crumbs (or ground almonds), starting with 1/4 cup.
- add egg and lightly beat with a fork to combine
- add spices, salt & pepper and mix
- mix in cheese. mix should be pretty moist at this point, as a lot of the moisture will bake out.
- place 2 tbsp butter in baking dish/pan. butter will melt and keep mushrooms from sticking while cooking, while adding flavor!
- stuff each mushroom with stuffing and place in dish
- bake for 45 minutes. stuffing should be browned when done.
Baked Potato Skins makes 4-6 servings
- 6 Idaho potatoes
- 1 cup mexican shredded cheese or shredded raw cheddar
- 1 cup avocado (cubed and tossed in lime juice)
- 1 cup Pico de Gallo (can be purchased in store or home made)
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 jalapeno (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Stab potatoes with fork all over, and
roast for 1 hour in foil. Let cool to touch. Half and scoop out 3/4 of the centers
- Preheat broiler
- Drizzle the halves with olive oil. Top with cheese and put under the broiler for an additional 2-3 minutes to melt cheese and crisp skins.
- Garnish with pico de gallo, avocado, jalapenos and greek yogurt, and season with salt and pepper to taste
(adapted from Daphne Oz)
Chinese 5 Spice Roasted Chic Peas makes about 6 cups
- 2 cans garbanzo beans (chic peas), drained, rinsed and thoroughly dried
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (if solid, warm jar in a pot of hot water on the stove until liquified). Can use other oils, but coconut tastes and works best!
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- toss everything together in a bowl and spread on a baking sheet
- roast at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until completely crunchy
- note: check them at 20 mins. If they are still chewy in the center, keep cooking!